Monday, July 1, 2024

287 -- Hozier -- Friday, May 17, 2024 -- Merriweather Post Pavilion -- Columbia, MD

 --- The first time he ever played in the states was at Merriweather! Apparently he was “as green as the grass on the lawn out there.” Individualizing from the start!!

--- Omg, I’ve never seen this place so packed. There’s no room on the LAWN. Now they’re telling me there’s no room in General Admission?! A manager had to get me in?!

--- Hozier is genuinely moved by the guy in the front with the Free Booze t-shirt. “Did you actually know that was the name of my dad’s band? He’s going to get such a kick out of that.” Aw!!!

--- The first ten songs are solid and varied, though, like on the albums, they drift for me and rarely land.

--- “Wildflower and Barley”: First music he got to share with Allison Russell. He wrote it during the pandemic.

--- “Movement” has dark excitement — woo! 

--- “Too Sweet”: it’s no Will Baskin on Google Meet, but it’s aight… In reality: !!! The crowd energy makes it soar. “A sincere thank you to anyone who’s been playing that or streaming it. It’s been the first number one of my career. It’s been nice.” 

--- Love the twinkly calypso in “Almost (Sweet Music).”

--- “Would That I” is way better live. He includes so many instruments and vocalists to go with the falsetto. For the first time, I involuntarily cheer!

--- Heh, I think they know “Take Me To Church.” I don’t have much connection to it, but the familiarity and the crowd make it rip.

--- Awww at him moving to a stage right next to the lawn and him addressing them!! The acoustic “Cherry Wine,” on the first songs he ever wrote, has a purity that has been missing for me amidst all the midtempo.

--- Aww at the woman next to me: “He’s really doin’ it.” 

--- “Nina Cried Power”: Awww at Mavis Staples turning 85. “The small things we do can have a lasting impact.” He connects Mavis’ protests songs to protests in Northern Ireland, products in South Africa, work hours, pensions, reproductive freedom, lgbtq, and Free Palestine. [Wow at the thunder for Free Palestine.] There has been no revolution without poetic expression.” He then connects it back to Mavis Staples and Allison Russell. The actual song is fine, but the urgency is !!!! 

--- Awwww, he thanks by name security and the CARPENTERS!!! That’s a first and strong symbolism. 

Grade: B+/A-


No comments:

Post a Comment