Running into Michelle Sheble Capozzoli and Michelle Maxey, minutes after telling Manuel about GGD, Buffalo, and Michelle’s parking tip about The Barns?!!!
“The Best Deceptions”: builds and builds and frontman Chris Carrabba knows how to project!!
“The Sharp Hint of New Tears”: they changed the song order from earlier on tour. Nice. Keeping me and my Setlist.FM self on my toes.
Loving how, sonically, they’ve expanded wayyy beyond the albums. I was confused by the acoustic near-monopoly of recordings I heard beforehand. Then, in concert, almost all numbers were accompanied by a full band! Plus, the times they pulled back, it sounded better.
“Southbound and Sinking”: instruments cut off for a vocal halfway through. Cool.
Manuel: “Every time I come to one of these concerts, I think, God I love this country.”
“Saints and Sailors” is apparently an older song.
Woo that Carrabba has an explanation despite the lack of time. He was halfway across the world, feeling lonely, he heard this song, and he felt seen.
“Remember To Breathe”!!!!! An unexpected game changer. It was specifically underwhelming when I heard it a few days ago — when I could barely breathe on a treadmill. This time, it had other instruments. Carrabba also held out a note for ~20 seconds as sang ‘remember to breathe.’ He referenced a girl from Virginia mid song without stopping before revealing what she said was the basis for the lyric. He did this by having ‘her’ sing the lyric. It was an Idol MOMENT.
Manuel compares them to U2.
It’s hard to make out “Stolen”’s lyrics, but its drive works.
Heh, Carrabba jokes about young people getting XL merch for later.
“Again I Go Unnoticed”: wow, impressive manipulation. He starts the crowd with their hands up and then a clap, which makes standing natural for everyone. “If your legs cramps from a lack of use when you get to GGD, that won’t work.” HA!!
Heh at his lack of enthusiasm for the lackluster call-and-response for “No More Bad Days.”
His best friend from high school is at Wolf Trap. So much individualization!!!
“Vindicated”: aww at Manuel’s vindication that they played his song from Spider-Man 2 — and the young guy who nearly leaped over the seat when they started playing it!!
Awww at:
--- A bunch of the crowd singing along to “Screaming Infidelities.”
--- Carrabba closing with “a song about the best day of my life,” “Hands Down.”
--- The bass guitarist bolting back and forth throughout. They really don’t know they’re an opening band!!
Grade: A-


No comments:
Post a Comment