If time finally runs out, if this is my last Bruce show, what a way to go out.
Live notes below:
--- I tell Manuel I’ll probably see my cousin Paul in the pit. Seconds later, well before the pit, there’s Paul! Not just him, every Verbesey in history -- and the Manuel-welcoming mensch Mike McDonald!!
--- Wow, Bruce launches into the most fierce, crisp, clear-eyed speech I’ve heard from him. Roar!!!
--- Seamless transition into an equally emphatic “War" [What Is It Good For]!!!
--- Awwww at Manuel flipping out when he realized Tom Morello was going to be playing with them the whole night!!! He’d also texted me this morning about “Born in the USA,” and that’s what they launch into next!
--- “My Hometown” and a cover of “The Clampdown” by The Clash can’t compare to “No Surrender.” Not just politics -- history, hope, everything!!!!
--- So…. that was an uncharted ten-song streak of everything. Rain stopped me from capturing individual moments, but I would give it all up for the rain. It lent the gravitas of “Streets of Minneapolis” THAT MUCH MORE!!!!!
--- “41 Shots” adds a haunting electric that’s never been there. It takes it to the next dimension!!!!
--- Pretty sure this is the first time I’ve heard “My City of Ruins” live — after a decade of using it in class for a 9/11 firefighter lesson!! Should have used the Nils-spinning “Because The Night” in class as well. Patti Smith rips!!!
--- Yessssss, the Morello-infused “Ghost of Toad." Tom Joad” into the unexpected “Badlands” was the most satisfying two-some combination in a long time. “Joad” in particular, which I somehow recognized from the opening note was CRACK!!!!! Musically, thematically, for the moment, perfect. [Ha, Paul later said the exact same thing!!] Felt like they were playing it, personally, for Manuel. I felt like I was being beamed above Nats Park — IN A SPACESHIP.
--- “This American Land”: Another one that was far from guaranteed, and I got it!!!!! Woo for Manuel appreciating me adding ‘Peru’ and the emphasis he put on the “trying to keep out” line.
--- The rain and being vibe drunk prevented much elaboration. That includes two of my other favorite moments: (1) the 20-year-old who stood in for Brody and Riley (2) the 2nd most impressive guy in the arena. The fact that the guy was from the UK, like the Dublin guy, made it even better!!!!
--- “Chimes of Freedom”: Mike McDonald: “Can’t beat Bob Dylan to wrap it up.”
Grade: A+





No comments:
Post a Comment