Tuesday, July 28, 2026

323 -- Florence and the Machine -- Saturday, April 18, 2026 -- Capital One Arena -- DC

--- Wow, what a difference choreography, a flowing dress, and a soaring voice can make. “Everybody Scream” is way better than it was during my run on the treadmill, Woodson track, or route for the Frost 5K!!

--- A giant harp, spiffy pianist, and spiffy violinist add to it.

--- Nothing can rescue “Witch Dance.” Still mumble, mumble, done.

--- “DC: Whatever you’ve been through, whatever you’re going through, I’m with you. And I hope we provide you a place to scream.”!!!! 

--- Um, scary, snarly red imagery. There’s a shift. “Seven Devils” as four of writhe on the floor. 

--- “Big God” has a solid funk build. Heh, cool moment where the monitor has her burst into flame. Cool trumpet interlude as everyone appears to do meth.

--- “Daffodil”: Hahaha, the dancers limp back, heads down like rag dolls. Now they’re standing on their heads!! I’ve been to many concerts, and I’ve never seen dancers used like this. The contrast between the protean quartet and no her voice is tremendous!!!

--- “Which Witch” is energetic and forceful — until a cooey acapella ending. So many sounds!!

--- Speaking of, the harp in “Spectrum” is transfixing, as is the note she holds out for 30 seconds, and the unexpected shift to ANTHEM!!! The “Say My Name” section’s got *drive* — as does the much darker “You Can Have It All.”

--- Says hello to new people and people who have seen them for 16 years. Wow that it’s been that long.

--- Lol: “that’s the part of the show where I drink water in the dark.”

--- “It’s also the part where I pray that I get through this next song. I think it will get easier, but it never does.” She was referring to “You Can Have It All.”

--- The lyrics and message of “Music By Men” gets lost in a bland sound and zero creativity. Is that intentional — a commentary on music by men?

--- Hahahahahaha: “This song almost never made the album because it was embarrassing. 20 years later, I can’t keep writing songs about someone not texting me back. [HA, feel ya!!!] Then it ended up being people’s favorites. It helps to hear so many people sing it back to me.”“Buckle” has such simplicity and relatability.

--- “King”: yay: welcome back, quartet. 

--- “Howl” and “Sympathy Magic”!!!! “What else” indeed. Look to the James Messenger thread for more. What a way to head into an encore.

--- “One of the Greats” isn’t accurate, but I dig its anger. / Growing power / the way she tilts her head back, and the harp plinks a few times at the end!!!

--- “Dog Days Are Over”!!!!! What a gambit with the lack of phones. Damn did it pay off. Not sure I’ve ever seen that many people jump that high.

--- “Free”: wheee!!! Points for the unique sound effect at the end.

--- “If songs are to exorcise pain and to scream, I needed to end the album on this one. May this be the one that comes true.”

--- “And Love”: “peace is cominggggg.” May that eventually be true…

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment